A Brief History of W.J. Boyd Council


Wethered J. Boyd Knights of Columbus Council No. 326 is a Catholic Fraternal Society with it's World Headquarters located in New Haven, Connecticut. The Council was originally chartered on April 24, 1898 as Lucayos Council with Brother Alfred M. Sevrs serving as the first Grand Knight. On October 7, 1912 the Lucayos name was changed to Unity Council when the then three local councils, LUCAYOS, TREMONT and MORRIS voted to merge. The membership operated out of a facility on Webster Avenue and Fordham Road. The purchase of a Webster Avenue clubhouse was completed in 1915 and served as home through 1923. In 1923, under the guidance of Wethered J. Boyd, a successful funeral director and business man, the property at 2605 Grand Concourse, the Bronx, was purchased through the Fordham Knights of Columbus Home Association. Over a period of time from 1905 to 1927, Brother Boyd served Unity Council in many different capacities, including eighteen years in the position of Grand Knight. Brother Boyd was an active member of the Joseph F. Lamb 4th Degree Assembly. Throughout his life, Brother Boyd had a significant impact on social, spiritual, athletic, educational and civic-cultural affairs in the Fordham section of the Bronx, NY.
On April 13, 1929, upon the death of Brother Boyd, the membership voted to change the name of the Council to Wethered J. Boyd Knights of Columbus Council No. 326 as a befitting honor to the legacy of a man who gave so much of his time, spirit and energy in the cause of helping others. Brother Boyd's devotion to the Columbian Principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism set a standard for all Council members and are still very prevalent in our Council's Columbian activities in the present day. The Council continuously operated from our Grand Concourse location until March 22, 1985 when that location was sold. The Council relocated to the Woodlawn area in 1993, first at 1008 McLean Avenue and then up the hill to 957 McLean Avenue in August, 1995. We settled into our current headquarters at 116 Lake Ave. in Yonkers in April, 2006.
Our Council membership totals 350 active members and sponsors the Columbiettes-Ladies Auxiliary and the Father Francis P. Duffy Columbian Squire Circle No. 186; a Youth Training Program of the Knights of Columbus. The Circle is named after the legendary Father Francis P. Duffy  Chaplain of the elite "Fighting 69th" New York Infantry Division and, until his passing, an active member of W.J. Boyd Council. The honor of establishing the Fr. Duffy Circle was granted to the youth program by the Supreme Council on May 16, 1937.